Saturday, January 24, 2009

Habitat for Humanity

Last April, a group from our church volunteered for Habitat for Humanity.  Now, Fadre and I do a lot of home improvements ourselves.  Okay, he does a lot…I am more helpful in “spirit”.  But I did climb out on the porch roof last year (being afraid of heights and all) and helped paint our new siding on the 2nd floor.

Back to my point, we don’t always attack our home improvements with the best of attitudes, it’s usually a dreaded chore.  But THIS, this was very, very different.  It was a privilege.  It was fun.

IMG_0062

 

 

Chris and Dr. Jason were excited to get started.

 

        

IMG_0064

IMG_0066

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Painting was the main job for the day and Jocelyn worked hard.

IMG_0072

IMG_0082

 

 

 

 

 

 

Faye was such a sport and painted all day – even with arthritis.  Yep, that’s me squatting.  Somehow, I’m always given the low spots.  Note my excellent posture in the above right photo - my mother will be so pleased.

IMG_0070   

Chris worked on the house next door too.

 

 

 

IMG_0065 

IMG_0067

IMG_0073 

Bill getting ready for his assignment - climb WAAAY up there and paint.

 

  IMG_0071

IMG_0079

 

 

 

 

 

iNik’s not big on heights, but she handled this with a smile!

 IMG_0069  

Unless you had experience, you were not allowed to touch the power tools.  Fadre was the only one in our group allowed.  He’s such a MAN!

IMG_0074

 

But Gary won the prize for being a gentleman.  Here he is moving the bench for his beautiful bride, Mary.  As we were getting ready to leave the site we had to hunt for them.  They “claimed” to be painting a closet…

IMG_0075  IMG_0076

 

 

 

 

Kathy and Travis came with us.  Travis  does construction for a living so he made an excellent volunteer. 

IMG_0077   

This is how I found Dr. Jason most of the time…talking, not painting.

 

 

IMG_0081

Faye takes a well deserved break.  I’m sure she’s enjoying the view – I know I am.

IMG_0093

The WHOLE gang.  Our homeowner (front and center) was there working on her house with us.   She was excited to tell us how her boys were looking forward to having their very own rooms.   This is a dream come true for her.

IMG_0068

This is my dream come true.  Nice work Fadre!

No comments:

Post a Comment